Monday, June 14, 2010

I wrote this a while ago and the fact that Starbucks is getting free wi-fi nationwide made me think about this ...I know, weird word association...

"THE PROBLEM WITH BEING HIGH IN THE BOOKSTORE"

The problem with being blowed and taking a trip to Barnes & Nobles is that your super paranoid and aware of everything.I convinced myself this was a good idea at home with writers block, but now that I'm sitting here without an outlet to plug up my short-lifed laptop...thinking I could've had a V-8 instead. When I'm first walking in, its like they stop me right at the door with their bargains sells. Knowing good and damn well that I don’t have money to even indulge in a bargain of any kind, as being a writer is up there in the “starving artists” category…you know, creative careers. I skim through a dead on interest cover for $9.98. Only skim tho, because I’m quickly reminding myself that’s not what I’m here for. I continue in, trying NOT to look high, but unfortunately looking anything but…

Now here’s the first challenge. Trying to find the proverbial “perfect spot “ like so many others who are too in hopes of writing the next New York Times best seller, and out of all them I wonder who will actually succeed, myself included. Peeping around every corner like inspector gadget looking for an electric outlet that won’t have me causing a hazard through the aisles, but still serve a sense of comfortability. It’s tough man. Browsing pass individuals, holding a look a tad longer for some, hoping they can’t tell if I'm high or not because I didn’t do “the check” before I got out of the car.

“None in the back, damn.” “ Guess I gotta sit in the Starbucks café”, and that sucks because no one wants to sit in the café. The seats are hard, you can hear the revving of the espresso machine, and everyone is in within arm’s reach. It’s a drag. I do a quick scan and then aimlessly walk until I see an empty chair, because at this point the comfortability factor no longer exists. This process is reminiscent of the 80’s arcade game Frogger, because while you think everyone is into their laptops and manuscripts, they’re actually still looking for a better spot to sit in, and every so often you’re a millisecond too late and they hop up and grab a seat right in front of you that you can’t believe you missed. I let out a quiet “damn” as this happens, but this means their seat is open, but you now I have to sit next the table of giddy, naïve high school cheerleaders gabbing about “The Hills”. Now you know why the other lady moved in the first place.

I try to settle in and accept my fate, but in true Frogger fashion , I do a final scan, and I wonderfully noticed an open spot against the wall where I can “peer” out into the room. I quickly gather my things as I have to move quick or else someone else will snatch it up. That’s when the embarrassing” race to the chair” scene comes into play, and if you lose, the walk of shame is tragic, especially if someone had eyed balled you when got up, and then you’re really shit out of luck and back at square one.

3 comments:

  1. You truly have an AWESOME talent as a journalist/writer. Love your work. Keep it going! Abundant Thinking is where its at.

    Fatina

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh glad to have found your blog, yes you are a great writer. Much success to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much to you both! That means a great deal to me! :)

    ReplyDelete