Sunday, February 13, 2011

Could the story of Cupid and Psyche be the “blueprint” for REAL love?

So Valentine’s Day is upon us….and believe it or not…I’m single (In my Drake voice). Yup… my relationship ended as soon and abrupt as it began. But I’m not sad, nor are me and the ex on bad terms of any kind. It really goes back to the “tailoring” my life to fit me kinda’ thing, and well…baby boy didn’t fit. And I’m ok with that…and he is too…I think…


But for all the other love birds out there who are indulging in the sweets of Valentine euphoria, I’d like to present the story of Cupid and Psyche, found in the Roman Mythology of Lucius Apuleius, a North African philosopher and novelist. His most famous work is his bawdy novel, the Metamorphoses, otherwise known as The Golden Ass. It relates to the outlandish adventures of one Lucius, who experiments with magic and is accidentally turned into an ass. *hehe*

The common theme throughout the book is “transformation”, hence the name “The Metamorphoses”, but between the books of 4-6 there lies the origin of Cupid and Psyche. I came across this and was so taken aback by the name alone. I didn’t even know Cupid had a boo! Much less with the name Psyche, and they had a kid whom they named Pleasure ( or Bliss depending on what version you read) which in turn got me thinking… with Cupid being the God of desire, affection, and erotic love and Psyche, eventually ( see story) becoming the Goddess of the Soul, isn’t that emphasizing that when desire meets the mind, you’ve found your proverbial “match made in heaven”?

Because let’s be honest, we’ve all had some show stoppers in our dating history, but they never lasted. We need more than physical attraction and a great bed room stroke. If you can’t connect mentally with your significant other, I mean really… what IS the point?

And I pose another question: Could the story of Cupid and Psyche possibly be the blueprint of what REAL love looks like?

With all the metaphors and themes in this story, they’re countless correlations in how we as human beings approach the subject of love even now. Some being relationships between Mother in Laws and Wives, mean girls, how we women will go through hell for the men we love, the maturing of the soul, sacrifice, when men are ready to settle down they do, and the age old adage “If it’s really Love, it will come back.” And I am a firm believer that there is nothing new under the sun, and that literature, especially the Bible, has an example of a problem and a solution, and a logical code of ethics to go about it. Besides, with society looking to social media, speed dates, and THE worse… blind dates trying to seek out love… would it really hurt to look at a little literature to attempt to understand a subject that confuses majority of the population. And if that doesn’t get you: it’s cost effective, time effective, and if you’re anything like me, you can quit asking your home girl to call with an “emergency” thirty minutes into all your dates.

But ultimately what I got from the story was this, and I’m sure you’ve heard it before: Let HIM find you ladies, and in the meantime make sure you’re are ready to receive him.

With that being said…Happy Valentine’s Day everyone! Ladies here’s to receiving your Cupid, and men here’s to finding your Psyche. 

As for me, I suppose I’m still in the mirror… getting ready.

Read Full Story of Cupid and Psyche here.

2 comments:

  1. Let me be the first to state how well written and insightful this article is. It has me a bit curious about the full story of Cupid and Psyche. I think I will read it and have my students analyze it in class tomorrow. Thank you Queen B. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks lady! I'd love to hear what your students come up with. Love ya' back! :)

    ReplyDelete